Friday, March 16, 2012

Another Box Checked

Taking care of last minute details as the 14th of April nears. This morning it was the doctor. I got a tetanus shot and physical. I discussed my trip and got several "just in case" prescriptions. Did my blood work and am set.

Next up is the dentist. I'm still weighing and packaging food. Breakfasts are all done and a majority of trail snacks. Making my dinner choices have been a challenge. How much? Variety. Pack ability. All considerations after I taste test for acceptability.

I got my maps and waypoints loaded into my GPS. IT'S HUGE!!! I'm taking it but Lordy it's big. I have my paper maps packaged and in re-supply boxes as a backup.

Under 30 days.... I'm getting antsy.

1 comment:

  1. Are you still kicking around dinners? I have found that mashed potatoes (the big box from Costco) measured out into 1/2 cups into quart zip bags works really well with a lot of other options. I dehydrate chicken and turkey and then add that to the mashed potatoes. I usually add some chicken boullion granules (get them at Costco too), shelf ready bacon bits - Krkland has its brand, dehydrated roast beef from the can, or cheese - I buy fresh, and double bag because after the first day the oil starts to separate and it can get downright messy. Pasta, rice, quinoa of all types works - first cook it and then dehydrate it. You'll save tons of fuel and only have to boil water. If you have time, dehydrate spaghetti sauce and powder in the blender. Get little zip bags at Walmart in the craft jewelry department. Ideal sizes for single serve sauce mixes. My local Adventist market has dehydrated veggies, which are superior to what I've done at home. Mine come out chewy, not a texture that I enjoy on the trail. Check Winco for that. Also cheese tortelloni @ Costco. No need to cook and dehydrate. It 'cooks' in the bag with added boiling water in about 5 or so minutes.

    Usually I have dinner @ breakfast and breakfast @ dinner when on the trail. Seems to work better for me. Then I almost always have a bedtime treat - I can't pass up good fudge, or homemade caramels. Only eat one a night so it's not a biggie.

    If you eat nut butters, I highly recommend Justin's http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/, A whole lot less mess than trying to make due with a zip baggie.

    Another use for those bags are Vitamin I and prescription drugs. Take the labels off the containers and tape to the bags. Someone on the pct-l last year said the pharmacy will put your prescriptions in bags if you request it.

    I'm thinking about doing trail magic at Whitewater Visitor's Center during the week after kick off.

    Good luck on the trail.

    Lost and Found

    ReplyDelete