Tuesday, March 27, 2012

WBC Snow Camp

Friday I set out on my last pre-adventure trip before hitting the trail for five months. The last camp out with the Wilderness Basics Course (WBC) is this weekend. It's called "Snow Camp" because we will be hiking and camping in the snow near Mammoth. We head off Friday afternoon in buses and will snow shoe in. With the new snow of last weekend and projected new snow this week, it should be an adventure. I hope to get a good idea of how my sleeping bag and pad will work in cold weather. The projected low temps should be in the low 20's and lots of snow.

I have a handle on my re-supply boxes. I need 21 boxes total. I will need 9 boxes with 5 days of food; 3 boxes with 6 days food and 9 boxes with 7 days food. That works out to 126 days of food, snacks and supplies. Have you ever tried putting your dinner menu together for 126 days and provide yourself a variety of foods that at the same time provide enough nutrition to keep your interest? It is not easy!!! I will be eating a lot of mac and cheese; mashed potatoes; Top Ramen; Cup of Soup; and various meals from Mountain House (12 total - they cost too much). I made my own trail mix and beef jerky and have them packed and ready to go.

With less than three weeks before my start, I have lots to do. So, I need to close and get at it. Future post will most likely be coming from the trail. Until then, be safe and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment