Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Start Date Fast Approaching

April 14 is just around the corner. I still have much to do. I have been going over gear and clothes, food options and deciding what to cut from my wants and only carry the needs. I have spent the day weighing every piece and making a list. I have a long way to go to get under my self imposed pack weight of 20 pounds less food and water. I will get there (I hope).

I decided to carry a GPS after all. I have spent the last month learning land navigation through the Wilderness Basics Course (WBC). I have a new confidence to stay found but wanted to be able to plot and document more precisely my hike. I purchased a Garmin, Montana 600, on the Internet and got it today. WOW. Now I need to figure out how to load my topo maps and use them. I will share more on that later.

I have been working on my food plan and re-supply boxes. What to ship and where. So many variables. I have been using "Yoki's PCT Handbook" planning guide. Jackie McDonnell has thru hiked the PCT and put together a planning guide and book to assist others who want to attempt a similar feat. I'm still trying to decide how many re-supply boxes I will have mailed to myself. Details, details, details.

I have two more trips on the calendar for my WBC with "graduation" set for April 4. Snow camp in the Sierra's at the end of the month will be the last before I start my adventure. Interesting WBC class last night taught by a weather person from national weather service and then information on altitude sickness and issues with hypo and hyperthermia. Lots of usefull information.

Time is running out for planning and prep. I will be hitting the trail soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I'm starting a day after you -- hope to meet you on the trail!

    ReplyDelete