Friday, April 27, 2012

Day 13

Yesterday was a long, cold, wet day. Mostly hiking UP the side of the mountains. Started with clouds and wind. The wind at times blowing hard enough to cause me to stumble. Once almost flicking me off the trail and down a steep hill. Scared as hell? OH YES!!!

Made it to the "Third Gate" mile 91 around 2:30. There is a water cache consisting of at least 200 gallons of bottled water. Many new bottles from the store, not refilled. This is the first water available since scissors crossing (19 miles). I had lunch, drank a gallon and filled up for the next stretch of 10 miles to known water.

I headed out, again climbing. I hiked for about three hours and it began to rain. I quickly found a level spot just off the trail that I could pitch my tent. It was raining, not just sprinkling. I quickly got my tent set and inside. I was soaked to the bone and shivering. (Isn't this fun?) I got out of my wet clothes, changed into my sleeping thermals and climbed into my sleeping bag. After I got warm I got my Jerboil out and made my dinner (chicken noodle soup) and read a little. It rained all night and the wind howled. I stayed dry and warm. I did put on my only other pants (rain-wind pants) and my down jacket, beanie and socks. I fell asleep quickly but woke every two hours or so from the wind and rain.

I got a late start, hoping the rain would stop this morning. Finally at 8:20 it sounded like it had stopped. Not! I got dressed and got out to beak camp and 10 minutes later it's raining again. Isn't this fun? I get my tent secured and my pack loaded and hit the trail around 9:30. Everything soaked including me. It rained off and one during the day. Nothing much but enough to keep pack covered and requiring me to wear rain pants and jacket which have their own Eco System when you add hiking hills with a heavy pack to the equation.

I made it to mile 105.2, San Ysidro Creek. The blisters were winning the battle and I decided to make camp. As I got to this spot I saw the girl from Hawaii. She asked if I had seen a tarp along the trail. I had seen what I thought was a large piece of paper with "hiker trash" written on it. She was frustrated. I saw it about a mile back off the trail. I had also found a random glove about half mile back that I picked up. I pulled it from my pocket and asked if she had lost a glove. She looked at it and said yes. She shook her head and said "I think I'd loose my head if it weren't attached,". I think her trail name should be "lost and found",

I got my tent set up, climbed in and changed into dry clothes. I had a cup of coffee and read for a bit. I then had dinner (tuna sandwich) and read a little more. It's 9:00 and I'm finishing this up and headed off to sleep.

I will make Warner Springs in the morning.

Until next time... Epsom Salt, hot water and a foot bath?? Please??

1 comment:

  1. just found yr blog here - lovin' it. keep on truckin!!
    ~rachel

    ReplyDelete