Saturday, April 14, 2012

I'm on the Trail

Well, the march is on. I got to the monument at Campo at about nine this morning. Travelled through rain, wind and snow getting there. As we arrived it began to rain. I was met by my great friends Terry McClain, Dick Castle, hiking friends Doug and Terri, my last great super partner/awesome friend Stephanie Rose and the best friends anyone could have Tina and Alan Schneid. My wife Mindi and two great kids Katie and Kyle. It was amazing they all travelled in the rain and snow to send me off.

I hiked for several hours in rain, sleet and wind. Freezing temps and an over stuffed back pack made for slow going. I made it about 8 miles and was soaked to the bone from rain and sweat so I decided to pitch my tent at 5:30 in a small patch of ground under a tree just off the trail. Setting the tent up in the rain is no fun. But I got it up and it was dry inside. Thanks to some tips from friends made at WBC and a lil practice at home.

I had my first wildlife encounter on the trail. I round a bend and there stands a baby skunk, tail raised and hissing at me. He would not move. After 10 minutes and him spraying the air I decided to nudge him off the trail with my hiking sticks and make a run for it. I made it without getting "skunked" but the nose did burn for a bit.

I'm snuggled in dry clothes in my tent. Had a hot cup of coffee and now it's time for dinner. Still raining but no wind. Instant mashed potatoes with some SPAM and dehydrated veggies.

Well, I'm off on my adventure. Enjoy the pictures as I upload them and follow me on my SPOT.

3 comments:

  1. Steve, thanks for sharing your adventure! I am cheering you on every step of the way my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, thanks so much for sharing your adventure. I am cheering you on every step of the way my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Sparky, we would not have missed it for the world. So if you could smell the little guy, you sure a little of him did not stick with you anywhere besides those nose :) Wildlife! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete