Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Rim to Rim

Today was one heck of a hike. Straight up and over. Started at Hauser Creek and climbed out of the canyon to the top of the mountain and down the other side to Lake Morena. Who ever said you can hike yourself into shape is an idiot (wait, I think that was me).

I am no doubt carrying too much weight and need to shed some unnecessary items. I thinks I can eliminate around 8 pounds.

I had intended on making Lake Morena yesterday. Oh well. I'm not going to race to Canada and I am in a cluster of hikers that are all moving at about the same speed and doing the same distances right now. Four of the six or seven who camped at Hauser Creek are camped here at Morena. Nice people. A Canadian gal, a woman from Santa Cruz, two men from Ohio. A couple other hikers have pulled in and are setting up tents.

The climb, only a little over four miles took everything I had. At times I felt as if I could touch the ground in front of me the trail was that steep in spots. Took me close to five hours. So I decided to call it a day and relax with the others here at Morena.

Tomorrow I will head off and try and make a dent in getting up to the Laguna Mountains. Will most likely take me two, maybe three days. Slower than I expected but not a big deal right now.

I'm enjoying the adventure, even with the pain. When I have proper cell service I will upload some pictures

Until next time; lighten the load, your knees and back will love you.

1 comment:

  1. Steve - that is a tough haul to the lake. The hike to the Laguna's is also a tough. Just a reminder, when you get to Scissors Crossing, have at least a gallon or more water for the hike to Warner Springs. Its a brutally hot hike with full afternoon exposure - weather forecast is for hot days ahead. Keep it up. Think abut you and your adventure often every day.

    ReplyDelete